Friday, March 28, 2008

Playing Checkers....

The days here in Udon Thani are shooting by. There's a few of us who run to Makro... like our Costco... literally... every day to pick up items for the team, ie water/arts & craft items/etc. I'm one of those folks, so I don't get to spend alot of time with the kids... I am here and there and everywhere... almost like something Dr Seus would say. When I return from my trips, Mem and Naed are there to greet me. Mem, 10 yr girl, and Naed, 5 yr old boy, though I have to admit... the ages are a gestimate and so is the spelling of there names... but then smiles and hugs erase those facts.

So yesterday... Mem and I sat down and played some checkers. She had grey rocks and I had red. No talking needed. Just smiles, goofy faces and laughing. As we played, and as was throughout the day, team mates would ask with a silent poke of a finger, "What is that faded sticker on your shoulder?" "Ah yes.. that is the sticker Mem gave me two days ago.... it has lasted 5 showers and a dip in a pool so far..." as I say with a beam on my face. As I played checkers with Mem yesterday... I saw she also had the now faded sticker that I had placed on her hand two days ago. I pointed to hers and then to mine... we both laughed and smiled.. and continued our game of playing checkers.

Cheers! Joy Allen

2 comments:

LindsayHeller said...

It has been so great being able to follow your progress and see the pictures of what you all have been up to. Thailand is such an amazing place, made that way by the wonderful people as you know. Thank you for being fabulous amabasadors for us all and giving so generously of your time and effort over there. We look forward to your safe return home!
~Scott & Lindsay Heller

Anonymous said...

Joy, You guys are doing such awesome work there! I am so proud of you all. I hope you all have a safe trip home. We miss you all! Most of all, we miss your smile:)

Chris Gittens