Thursday, April 10, 2008

Love the Kids...


As I think through the now passed days at the Udon Thani Orphanage and my Dr Seuss routine of here, there and everywhere… I recall Mil and Naeda always greeting me with surprise hugs upon my return from errands, playing checkers and the explosion of construction paper confetti which born the squiggly cut out metallic gold heart on Fred’s chest.

I remember sitting in the library updating stuff and Heather coming in crying saying, “It isn’t fair… why… my girl, Bo, had three teeth pulled out this morning… she’s holding her mouth in pain… it isn’t fair… she hasn’t a mother to comfort… to hold her tight.. to say it is okay.. why her….” I responded only in speechless tears. As you read in Heather’s blog below and she told me later that day, she realized that she was sent to hold Bo tight that day.

I remember the last day, as a troupe of girls came out on stage to perform a Thai dance for us. Just prior to the music beginning, I notice one of the girl’s beaming with delight… and as a smile emerged on her face followed by a tentative raise of hand as to say “Hi Mom”… I followed the gaze of the girl to one of my teammates, Janelle, whose response was a proud smile, wave and the raising of her camera for a photo. As you read in Janelle’s blog below and as she too told me later, it was as if this was her girl’s first time to perform for someone and she was so proud of her girl.

I remember following the dance, a few of us talking with the director of the orphanage and the question being asked, “What nonfinancial item can we provide for the girls?” The director responded quickly, “Come frequently… play with the kids… love them.” As I heard her words, I recalled Fred’s story the night before of one of the older girls who has only one year left at the orphanage and who is still in school and working part time. Fred asked her, “How can we help you? What can we do for you?” Her response, “Love the kids.”

As I return to my Dr Seuss life in the States….here, there and everywhere… I continue to hear the chorus of the kids pure laughter… to feel the pressing of a small hand in mine… the surprise bear hug around the waist. These are not faint memories but very much alive and vibrant... and which only solidify what resounds in my mind and is etched in my heart… love the kids.


~ Joy Allen

No comments: